Oklahoma Joe’s has a great new product for 2024 that is like a barbecue cheat code. It’s the Tahoma 900, and despite running off charcoal for great smoke flavor, it has set-it and forget-it ease.
They accomplish this through technology that’s similar to what’s used on a pellet grill. You load charcoal in the hopper, light a fire starter, set a temperature on the controller (or your phone), and let the built-in fan do the rest. It controls the temperature through blowing more air into the fire to make it hotter, or backing it off to cool it down.
Features and Specs
- Retail price of $699.99 and available at Oklahoma Joe’s website or at Lowe’s
- Temperature range of 225°to 600°F for smoking, searing, and everything in-between
- 557 square inches of space on the primary grate and another 318 square inches on the upper grate for a total cooking space of 875 square inches
- 16 lb hopper for up to 13 hours of cook time without refilling – you can mix in wood chips or chunks if you’d like
- Includes two food probes to monitor your cook
- Has two wheels and two casters to easily move the smoker around
The Tahoma 900 smoke comes with an on-board LCD screen that you can use to set cooking temperature and monitor your cook. It also work with the new Oklahoma Joe’s app through Bluetooth and WiFi, so you can control it from anywhere. Their app has advanced features like graphing, so you can lots of data on your cook.
One nice thing about the design of the Tahoma is that it has the styling of other Oklahoma Joe’s smokers. That makes it nice to look at, but also it’s more useable that other automatically controlled charcoal smokers on the market.
The charcoal hopper is easy to access at waist level, and there is a big ash door that’s also easy to access from the front of the grill. When you’re done using it, there’s a knob on the front that you can shut off the airflow. That’s a more user friendly method than the removeable plates you find on other similar smokers.
We really like what Oklahoma Joe’s has cooked up with the Tahoma 900 Auto-Feed charcoal smoker. It offers pellet grill levels of useability with more smoke from charcoal. It’s also a better looking design than other similar automatic charcoal smokers.