The list of nominees for induction into the 2023 BBQ Hall of Fame have been whittled down to 10 names. The top 10 semi-finalists were announced this week on The BBQ Central Show.
Top 10 Semi-Finalists
- Byron Chism – As a Culinary Institute of America graduate, Byron created Bad Byron’s Butt Rub in 1997. To help market it, he began competing in BBQ competitions where among many honors he was one of the top 10 KCBS cooks for 7 consecutive years.
- Steve Grady – Renowned pitmaster at Grady’s BBQ in Dudley, NC. He’s been cooking whole hog BBQ at the legendary restaurant that bears his last name for decades.
- David Klose – He pioneered high quality offset cookers under the name BBQ Pits by Klose. His pits have been used and enjoyed by restaurants, competition cooks, and backyard cooks.
- Fast Eddy Maurin – A pioneer of pellet grills on the competition scene, and teamed up with Cookshack in 2003 to manufacture them commercially.
- Roger Mooking – A chef an restaurateur, most know for documenting the American BBQ scene on the show Man Fire Food.
- Flora Payne – After her husband, Horton Payne, tragically passed in 1984, she took over Payne’s BBQ in Memphis with Horton’s mother. It’s still a legend in the Memphis BBQ scene.
- Dave Raymond – You may not recognize his name, but you certainly know Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, which he founded in the 80’s. Other than the sauce, he also still runs restaurants in the Chicago area.
- Malcom Reed – One of the most popular BBQ personalities with his How to BBQ Right YouTube channel.
- Donny Teel – He’s been a very successful BBQ competitor for a long time and run’s a BBQ trailer in Oklahoma called Buffalo’s BBQ.
- Darren Warth – He’s been successful at BBQ competitions for decades and runs Smokey D’s BBQ with his wife Sherry.
BBQ Hall of Fame Class 2023
The list of 10 semi-finalists will be voted on by the current members of the BBQ Hall of Fame. The top 4 vote getters will make-up the Hall of Fame class of 2023.
The Hall of Fame class will be announced exclusively on The BBQ Central show on May 24th at 3pm EST.
At that time, Legacy Members will also be announced. Those are people that aren’t with us, but have had a lasting impact on the world of BBQ.
There will also be an Impact Award given out, which is awarded to groups of people that deserve recognition for their contributions to BBQ.
BBQ Hall of Fame
The Barbecue Hall of Fame is run by American Royal, in Kansas City, MO. They’re a 501c3 not-for-profit that’s been around since 1899, and focuses on food and agriculture education, events, and engagement.
American Royal took over the Barbecue Hall of Fame from it’s founders in 2011, and held their first induction ceremony in 2012.
Recent inductees include John Markus, Lee Ann Whippen, Meathead Goldwyn, Rodney Scott, Joe Don Davidson, and Aaron Franklin.